Human Flower Project

Name that Bloom

image

A mystery….

From a kind reader in Portugal this morning:

I admire your Human flower project immensely, can you please help me to identify this flower.

Thanks

Rosa

Thank you, Rosa. We admire your photograph immensely and confess we’ve never seen anything quite like this. Very electric—brainy.

Could the botanists please step in here? Not sure whether Rosa’s flower is Portuguese, but we’ll send this off to our friends at Dias com Arvores to eyeball, and to Daniel Mosquin of the UBC Botanical Garden’s Botany Photo of the Day. He’s seen it all.

Were we “the decider” we’d call it Fizzo. We’re not. So the search is on….

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 10/26 at 02:15 PM

Comments

Hello Rosa and Julie,

This is Hakea laurina or pin-cushion hakea, native to Western Australia.

Here’s a short article about it: Hakea laurina.

Best,
Daniel

Posted by Daniel Mosquin on 10/26 at 04:56 PM

Hello , hello Julie and Rosa

I found out ;- )
It’s called Hakea Laurina - Pin Cushion, “one of the most admired native plants of south-western Australia…” ( in http://www.anbg.gov.au/gnp/gnp2/hakea-laurina.html )
More pictures here: http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&lr;=&q=Hakea+laurina+&btnG=Search

It was a pleasure
Best wishes from Porto

Posted by Manuela on 10/26 at 05:07 PM

Well… it took me a long time to write and in the meantime Daniel answered . I should have waited as he IS the professional botanist. Anyway it was a pleasure to search (Daniel probably did not have to ), and I’m glad I found out (which does not allways happen wink

Please Julie “delete” me ;- )OK?

Posted by Manuela on 10/26 at 05:15 PM

Hello Daniel, olá Manuela,
Small world!
Thank you so much for solving my mystery.

Posted by Rosa on 10/26 at 05:25 PM

Manuela, I had to search quite hard, since I didn’t know what it was either. I first started with Acacia, which was the wrong way to go. Don’t worry about the double-post - it happens all the time on the UBC forums, and I’m glad that we agree!

Posted by Daniel Mosquin on 10/26 at 05:25 PM

Thanks to both Daniel Mosquin and Manuela Ramos for their attention and expertise! The swift and nearly simultaneous replies arrived 11 minutes apart (and we know that Manuela was in the midst of cooking—it was dinnertime in Portugal.) Y’all are the best.

Rosa, we can be supremely confidant this is Hakea laurina.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 10/26 at 05:32 PM

Indeed that’s Hakea laurina and as far as I know it can be found in many forms, well a diversity of them, in the West part of Australia. It is quite exotic in appearance, but I found a relative of this, Hakea petiolaris, being more exotic. Anyway, I like your comparison with the electric brain.

Posted by Brenda on 10/27 at 11:21 AM

Pin cushion - what an apt name. I like Fizzo better. This flower protrudes so much of energy. Does anyone else this the same? I think daisies seem to be smiling always, Fizzo seems to be dancing, the maiden hair fern seems so shy and quiet. Nature is beautiful.

Posted by Lubna Kably on 11/01 at 06:46 AM

i found this website which shows a fantastic picture of the Hakea Laurina.

Posted by John on 11/01 at 01:03 PM

Thank, very interestingly, only you today has found a site 3 hours were on him. It was read but it is necessary to work.  Once again thank It is my site Alexander

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 01/11 at 10:55 AM
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.